Monday, April 6, 2009

Shortcake Biscuits

These aren't Grandmom's biscuits. Or Aunt Nancy's. Not even Hardee's or Bojangles. In other words, Liz, don't expect the Southern biscuits.

When I visited DC last summer, the only time I could get together with Ros was for a morning breakfast. She made biscuits from Joy of Cooking. We spooned yogurt over them and topped with strawberries and blueberries. I fell in love and repeated the meal throughout the summer.

I need a kick of summer today. Cooped up inside by the third blizzard since the "first day of spring." Dancing around in a tank top and summer skirt, I pulled out Nana's Joy. 

So glad for freezers and frozen fruit.

Fluffy Biscuits/Shortcake Dough (adapted from page 450 of my copy of Joy of Cooking)

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1.25 tsp salt
1 Tbs sugar
2 Tbs butter
.75 cups milk

Mix dry ingredients. Cut in butter. Add milk. 

I treated these as drop biscuits. Pop in oven at 425ยบ for 10-12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment