All the same, I've begun to tolerate tomatoes more. Chalk it up to dying taste buds, or burying them in spices. I'll still remove tomatoes from sandwiches, but I'll eat a reasonable portion of tomato sauce on my spaghetti. I'll happily devour fresh salsa all summer long, provided there are enough peppers (both hot and sweet) in it, and I've learned that shakshuka is an easy, healthy, comfort meal.
Here's my shakshuka variation from tonight. Not exactly traditional, but it used ingredients on hand and was quick and warm.
- Couple tablespoons olive oil
- Half a chopped onion
- Copious diced garlic
- Half a can diced tomatoes
- Frozen beet greens (if on hand)
- 1 tsp paprika
- Pinch tumeric (hey, I figured the health properties were good in winter)
- Sprinkle of red pepper flakes
- Black pepper
- 1 or 2 eggs