Sunday, January 7, 2024

Hoppin' John

 Every year, I google vegetarian hoppin' john recipes and every year I'm disappoint. Either it doesn't look like what I want, so I don't make it, or I try it and the flavor profile is too similar to the collards, or it's bland. This year's is the best I remember trying. Flavorful and paired nicely with the four pepper collards without duplicating the same flavor profile. I might not stick with it exactly, but it's a good base to start from.

Ingredients

  • ~1/3 lb dried black eyed peas
  • 1 onion
  • 1 stalk celery
  • ~1/2 a large poblano leftover from collards
  • 1 orange bell pepper
  • a few sprigs thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • salt 
  • olive oil
  • ~2/3 can of fire roasted tomatoes
  • rice (I used brown jasmine because it's what I had on hand)

1. Soak beans beforehand. (I know, I know! I basically never do, but I did this time.)

2. Start rice cooker with rice.

3. Dice and saute the onion and celery in a tablespoon or so of olive oil in a dutch oven or similar pot.

4. While sauteing, dice the peppers. When the onion and celery have softened, add the peppers and saute a bit more.

5. When all the vegetables are soft, add the thyme, bay leaves, and salt. Stir a couple of times then add the black eyed peas (drained) and enough water to cover them comfortably.

6. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the peas are all but done.

7. Stir in the tomatoes and simmer a few minutes more.

8. Take off the heat. Stir peas mixture, including some of the broth, into the rice. May have some peas left over. That's fine. It makes a good soup, too.


1 comment:

  1. In years past, have you tried the Cool Beans' Hoppin John Pilaf? I confess that we usually don't make it vegan as written (because finding the flavored tofu that's gluten free is a step beyond my commitment to not using sausage or bacon).

    Basically cook beans. Cook rice (I think we use the Jasmine the recipe calls for.) Mix equal parts beans and rice and put in hot skillet. Skillet goes in super hot oven for ~20 minutes, until you get the crispy bottom. Serve with hot sauce as you desire.

    I don't think I've made it with the four-pepper collards but it has been a go-to dish during pregnancy heartburn season. Start on New Year's and then keep on repeat for a month.

    Though also, love your recipe for using the peppers that didn't make it into the collards after all. And now I want those collards, heartburn or no.

    ReplyDelete