Sunday, December 6, 2020

Pecan Pie

Every Thanksgiving, I look up a bunch of pecan pie recipes. I look in church cookbooks; google for recommendations; check blogs that I trust. I even look at the pecan pie recipe on the corn syrup bottle. And every year, I end up making a recipe that’s a combination of several of the above, but I never record what I did. So this year, I’m writing it down. Not necessarily to repeat, but such that I remember what I’ve tried before.

Crust (Based on Julia’s)

2/3 cup white flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp cold butter
2 Tbsp shortening
3 Tbsp cold water

Make crust. Refrigerate.

Filling*

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup corn syrup + enough molasses to get up to a scant half cup
1 1/4 cup good quality pecans
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs beaten
6 Tbsp butter

Heat the butter, sugar, and syrup on the stovetop until boiling. (Roll out crust while waiting to heat up. Stick 9in pie plate back in fridge once prepped.) Take off heat. Stir in vanilla, eggs, and pecans. Pour into the prepared crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 45ish minutes. Let cool at room temperature for 2 hours+ before cutting.

*After designing this from a hodge podge of recipes, I noticed the pie recipe on the pecan bag is remarkably similar.
 

3 comments:

  1. This year, we used the fancy bottomed glass pie plate for the pecan pie, and the largest of the 9-inch pie plates for the pumpkin pie. The pumpkin pie was *very* full but did not overflow. Might be worth trying the dark glass large pie plate next year. Also, even if using the same pie plates in the future, worth making 1.5 pie crust recipe for the pumpkin pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other comment from this year: I did about half and half on the corn syrup and molasses this year and thought it was a bit too dark. Next year, I'd either reduce the molasses again or use less brown sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I skipped the molasses and did straight corn syrup. Was careful to temper the eggs, stirring the butter and sugars into the eggs instead of the eggs into the syrups. Let it cool for a beat before pouring into the crust. (Still scarred by the time I turned the whole [gluten free] crust to caramel.)

    ReplyDelete