Thursday, April 9, 2020

Salad Strategy

CSA day! Today we got spinach, white scallions and green garlic (both already chopped off with ends in water in the windowsill, because let's grow more flavor), salsify (which I have never had),  carrots, purple radishes (so pretty! and with greens attached), scarlet turnips, more carrots (there were two bags), and zucchini. It seems early for the zukes. I want asparagus. That's a proper spring vegetable! And I haven't had any yet because it hasn't come in the box and we have enough vegetables that I'm not buying it from the store.

~~~

For lunch, I made a salad. Today's was a simple salad: spinach, chickpeas, radish, carrot, turnip,  feta, dressing. Though I'm coming to think of most of my salads as fancy to present, simple to make. Assembly of a basic components.

These are the building blocks of most of my salads.
  • Greens
  • Grains
  • Lentils/beans (Bonus if you've been marinating them.)
  • Raw veggies (Do you have a mandoline? It makes my salads feel very fancy.)
  • Cooked veggies (I've been using this recipe quite frequently recently)
  • Seasonal fresh fruit
  • Fritters (Smashed veggies, falafel, risotto fritters. Meat options would probably go at this level too. Or a fried egg.)
  • Cheese
  • Dried fruit, whatever the season
  • Nuts/seeds (Maybe even a savory granola? Croutons if you can! Crispy beans if you'd rather.)
Choose items from at least three of the categories. Probably not more than five or six of them. Usually I build my salad with things at the top of the list going into the plate first as a base and things at the bottom of the list being added later as toppings. Add a dressing or sauce,

Some winners from this winter's boxes:
  • Radishes sliced paper thin + grapefruit segments + goat cheese + rose vinaigrette
  • Mixed greens + sliced carrots and radishes + smashed sunchokes + sriracha-mayo-lemon dip
  • Mixed greens + marinated lentils + mixed roasted veggies + blue cheese + a homemade balsamic dressing
  • Kale + chickpeas + daikon radish + caesar dressing

No comments:

Post a Comment