Saturday, January 13, 2018

Shakshuka

I am not a tomato person. Once, over dinner in college, Nick accused me of being "the type of person who likes tomatoes." I'm not entirely sure what that means. I know plenty of wonderful people who love tomatoes (hi, sis!), so I assume that it's not an insult, yet it's not me.

All the same, I've begun to tolerate tomatoes more. Chalk it up to dying taste buds, or burying them in spices. I'll still remove tomatoes from sandwiches, but I'll eat a reasonable portion of tomato sauce on my spaghetti. I'll happily devour fresh salsa all summer long, provided there are enough peppers (both hot and sweet) in it, and I've learned that shakshuka is an easy, healthy, comfort meal.

Here's my shakshuka variation from tonight. Not exactly traditional, but it used ingredients on hand and was quick and warm.

Shakshuka

  • Couple tablespoons olive oil
  • Half a chopped onion
  • Copious diced garlic
  • Half a can diced tomatoes
  • Frozen beet greens (if on hand)
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • Pinch tumeric (hey, I figured the health properties were good in winter)
  • Sprinkle of red pepper flakes
  • Black pepper
  • 1 or 2 eggs
  • Za'atar
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Saute the onion and garlic for a couple of minutes. Add the paprika, tumeric, and red pepper flakes followed soon by the tomatoes and beet greens. Bring to a simmer. Depending on the level of salt in the tomatoes, add a pinch of salt and black pepper to taste. Simmer for a couple of minutes. Crack the egg into the middle of the sauce, and cover the pan. When poached to your desired consistency (~a few minutes), scoop into bowls and sprinkle za'atar on top. Eat with bread or toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment