Saturday, July 9, 2011

Our Biscuit Counting Family

Cousin: "What brings you to town?"
Mom: "Oh, Betsy was in the state, so we needed to visit Grandmom."

It seems that I have reached the age where I return home with decreasing frequency. Although I'm here for much of the summer, that isn't likely to happen again. Thus, my return is enough of an event to require a visit.

Although I almost always visit Grandmom when I'm home, I hadn't helped her cook in awhile. Often, I'm only there briefly, so dinner has already been made or in the middle of preparation by the time that I arrive. However, this time dinner wasn't until the second day of my visit, so I had all afternoon to help. And of course, I was most eager to bake biscuits.

If you are not related to me, these might not be exactly the biscuits you are used to--they're not Bojangles at any rate. But if you are related to me, then you always know exactly how many biscuits you and each of your cousins have eaten and agree that the only biscuits that can beat Grandmom's are Aunt Nancy's.

Grandmom's Biscuits:
2 cups sifted, self-rising flour (Red Band is best, but Adluh will work)
5 "soup-spoonfuls" of shortening (6ish Tablespoons?)
3/4 cup buttermilk

Blend the flour and shortening together with a pastry cutter. Then, stir the buttermilk into the mix. If needed, add a bit more flour to bring the dough together and keep it from sticking.

Light pass the dough back and forth between your hands to bring it together. Remember that you want the dough light, so don't knead it too much. Roll out the dough without pressing down to a bit thicker than a quarter inch. There should be more shearing action than pushing flat.

Cut out rounds, and place close together on a cookie sheet.

Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until done.

2 comments: