Friday, February 26, 2010

Turning 21...

My 21st birthday was just over a week ago, and despite opposition from friends, I didn't want to celebrate in the usual 21st way. (Yeah, I realize that I'm not a normal college student). Anyways, since I've started the habit of baking something new for my birthday each year, I compromised and used alcohol in my birthday dessert. Plus, creme de menthe squares seem twice as fitting for my birthday as I often paired chocolate and mint for my birthday cakes growing up.

Creme de Menthe Squares
adapted from: http://www.christmas-cookies.com/recipes/recipe4.creme-de-menthe-squares.html

1 1/4 cups butter or margarine
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar -- sifted
1 egg, beaten *
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup creme de menthe
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Base Layer: In a sauce pan, combine 1/2 cup of the butter and the cocoa powder. Heat and stir until well blended. Remove from heat; add 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar, the egg and vanilla. Stir in graham cracker crumbs. After mixing thoroughly, press into bottom of an ungreased 13x9x2" baking pan. Bake at 350F for 8 minutes.

Middle Layer: Melt another 1/2 cup of the butter. In small bowl, combine the melted butter and creme de menthe. Gradually beat in the remaining 3 cups powdered sugar until smooth. Spread evenly over the chocolate layer. Chill 1 hour.

Top Layer: In small sauce pan combine the remaining 1/4 cup butter and chocolate chips. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Spread over middle layer. Chill for 1 to 2 more hours. Cut into small squares. May be stored in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment