Sunday, January 24, 2010

Muffins this healthy sounding should definitely taste this good

This afternoon's 30 minute lie-down turned into a 3 hour nap. I made it to my evening church group, but was no where near hungry for dinner.

On my walk to my apartment from the parking lot, I called Vicki. It's a school night, so I wasn't sure if she could talk. "Yeah. I'm making muffins, so I can talk while they're cooking."

Muffins! It's been a long time since I've made you. And the bread I was going to bake today didn't happen. If I get the dishes washed, then I can bake muffins!

I turned to Jane Brody's sugarless blueberry muffins. I didn't have enough white flour, so that got changed. Vicki's a vegan, and while she's not going to eat this batch, I decided to veganize them. And then I went a little bit crazy with the blueberries. The muffins are so much better than I remember them.

I've eaten 4 big ones and 1 small one so far. That counts as dinner, right?

Sarah's New Favorite Blueberry Muffins

3/4 cups white flour
1 cup wheat flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
.25 teaspoon cinnammon
.25 teaspoon nutmeg
5 Tablespoons applesauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup orange juice
~ 1 teaspoon lemon zest (I zest all my lemons and freeze it for when I need it. Really does add to this recipe, though they'd still be good without it.)
1 pint blueberries

Preheat the oven to 400ºF. I skipped this step. Then as I was spooning out the batter I realized the oven wasn't on yet. The chemistry of muffins is such that they should go straight from mixing to oven, so be better than I was.

Add in the wet ingredients.

Fold in the blueberries. Supposedly they're supposed to be tossed with flour. Whatever. I just used frozen ones and it worked.

Spoon into treated muffin tins. (Treated. You know, greased. Or lined. Or whatever you do so they don't stick like crazy. Cause that's what they'll do otherwise.)

Pop in the oven to bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

Serve hot.

Makes: 1 dozen baby muffins + 9 big muffins. At least today it did.
Mix the dry ingredients.

1 comment:

  1. Blueberries are so excellent, and I haven't had them in so long. Sadly, college isn't a good place for keeping a freezer full of them.

    I need more fruit. Maybe the Co-Op has kumquats?

    ReplyDelete